Pike was right
Letters to the Editor
City Council should support I-502 in Camas The demand for marijuana is spinning off enormous profits for drug cartels, for gangs, and for illegal dealers. Allowing regulated marijuana sales in Camas would allow us to refocus limited city resources on more important priorities and would redirect millions of dollars that are currently flowing to criminal organizations each year to legitimate businesses and provide a source of additional revenue for Camas.
Coal, oil pose health, safety risks
Chamber supports school levies The Camas-Washougal Chamber of Commerce is in support of the two Washougal School District replacement levies that will be up for vote on Feb. 11. These are not new taxes. These levies will replace the funding of the maintenance and operations levy and technology levy expiring in 2014. The state covers about 80 percent of funding needed for schools and these levies will bridge the gap to cover the other 20 percent.
I am proud of the quality education that my two children received from Washougal public schools. Without hesitation I will support the M&O and technology levies. These dollars will be directly used to support campus security, student health, performing arts, sports teams, technology, facility maintenance and community education.
Support Washougal school levies
Coal, oil train hazards are not worth the risk The explosion Dec. 30 in North Dakota of an oil train was the third major oil train accident in the last 6 months.
Quality public education benefits all The dust has settled since the November election and as we head into a new year, I am thankful to the citizens of Camas who voted for me. Although I didn’t win a director seat on the Camas School Board, I did appreciate the opportunity to seek the position representing the Camas community. My husband Ryan has been so supportive and patient and our three daughters have learned so much from my experience including the notion that in life we do the right thing, even if it is the hard thing.
Vote no on ECFR proposition I recently had the opportunity to meet with Martha Martin who is running to retain her commissioner seat with East County Fire & Rescue Position 4. I know Martha to be an honest, caring, and concerned citizen of Camas-Washougal through her previous involvement with numerous local organizations.
Smith, Hogan are good for Camas Camas is a solid, forward thinking and prosperous community. One of the reasons for this is their progressive form of government that includes an experienced, balanced and most importantly, stable, City Council. With keeping a deep bench of good, hard working members of the community, Camas can be looked at as a model for other communities. Two of Camas’ Council are up for re-election this November, Councilman Steve Hogan and Councilwoman Melissa Smith. I know both of these people well and admire them a great deal.