Investigators discover two bodies

Identities are still not being released

timestamp icon
category icon News
On Thursday, more than 20 investigators were at the scene of Wednesday's shooting and house fire on F Place in Washougal.

The dead bodies of two adults and four dogs were discovered today at the scene of Wednesday’s house fire and shooting at 3275 “F” Place in Washougal.

Clark County Sgt. Kevin Allais said during a press briefing today at the scene that the victims have not been positively identified and autopsies are being performed. The house, located just north of Safeway, was owned since 2002 by Steven D. and Leona M. Stanbary, according to Clark County property records.

Allais said any motives behind the tragic incident are not being released.

“I’m not commenting on any motives at this time,” he said.

Earlier today, police also said a dog was found dead with a gunshot wound at the scene.

The situation started Wednesday morning just after 8 a.m. when a 911 call came in reporting a fire at the residence. A neighbor, Bobby Bean, who saw the fire, knocked on the door to see if anyone was inside. He was then told by a man in the house to “go away,” a statement that was then followed by gunfire. Bean was not injured.

Shortly after, the vehicle of the first responding Washougal Police Department officer was hit by at least five bullets when he arrived on scene. The officer received only very minor injuries, and according to a press release is currenly on critical incident leave.

Police believe hundreds of rounds of ammunition were fired by the suspect for about 90 minutes Wednesday morning. None of the responding officers discharged any firearms during Wednesday’s incident, according to Allais.

The house, as well as other structures on the property, burned to the ground.

All businesses and residences within a four-block perimeter between 32nd and 34th Streets, and between Evergreen Way and Webster Lane were evacuated. Four schools, Hathaway and Gause elementary schools and Washougal and Excelsior high schools, remained locked down until about 3:30 p.m. Most of the neighborhood was reopened by 6 p.m.

According to Allais, more than 20 investigators from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Ammunition, the regional major crimes team, and an arson dog from the Portland Police Department have been combing the scene on Thursday. The investigation is expected to continue for several days.