A Camas family’s home was heavily damaged by fire Dec. 26.
The blaze at 203 N.W. 22nd Ave. was called in at approximately 1:10 p.m., after one of its residents returned home and discovered a couch on fire in the family room.
Upon arrival, crews from the Camas-Washougal Fire Department entered the house and found the entire rear half of the structure on fire. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, said Fire Chief Nick Swinhart, but smoke and flames had already caused extensive damage.
“From the front of the house it doesn’t look like a lot of damage was done, but basically the entire back half of the house is gutted,” he said. “It’s not going to be a place they are going to be able to return to live in anytime soon.”
There were no injuries. The family of three, an adult and two children, plans to stay with family, so the American Red Cross was not notified.
Swinhart said CWFD Deputy Fire Marshal Randy Miller had been on scene. The investigation is expected to focus on electrical and heat sources as a possible ignition source.
“We don’t have a lot to go off of right now, except looking at historical data about what causes fires at this time of year,” Swinhart said. “The next few days will tell us a lot about whether we will be able to pinpoint an exact cause or a suspected cause.”
The chief added that the fire is not believed to have been caused by a Christmas tree or Christmas lights.
Approximately 16 firefighters on four engines and one ambulance were on scene. Assistance was provided by East County Fire & Rescue.
According to Clark County property records, the one-story, four-bedroom 2,532 square foot house was originally built in the 1970s.