Washougal man leads police on pursuit

Cameron L. Frank is arrested for DUI and attempting to elude a police vehicle

timestamp icon
category icon News

A late night call to 911 resulted in Washougal Police officers responding to a suspicious person, outside the station.

Cameron L. Frank, 23, of Washougal, has been arrested and booked into the Clark County Jail, for attempting to elude a police vehicle and driving under the influence.

The WPD received a call Thursday, at 11:05 p.m., regarding a man in a green SUV waving a gun or knife around.

Officers saw a green 1994 Ford Explorer passing in front of the police department, at 1320 “A” St. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver took off at a high rate of speed.

Police pursued the SUV, westbound on state Route 14 from Washougal River Road to approximately 192nd Avenue, where the officers disengaged and terminated the pursuit.

The Explorer passed a fully marked Washougal Police car near exit 12. The vehicle traveled at a high rate of speed when it passed the police car, before slowing down in front of the officer.

According to a press release, the suspect vehicle began speeding up and slowing down as if the driver was trying to provoke the officer to chase him again. Instead of engaging in another high speed pursuit, the officer opted not to engage and followed behind the vehicle while keeping a safe distance.

Other Washougal officers deployed spike strips on SR-14 near Washougal River Road, which successfully began deflating three tires. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle again, but it continued fleeing north on Washougal River Road at speeds of 30 to 40 mph.

The suspect’s vehicle, which began crossing into the oncoming lane of Washougal River Road, was brought to a stop by officers who used a pursuit immobilization technique, near the 3600 block.

According to the press release, Frank refused to comply with an officer’s request to show his hands. A Taser was deployed, and Frank was taken into custody without incident. He was checked by medical personnel and found to be uninjured.

Police said alcohol was a factor in this incident. After being arrested, the suspect made statements about wanting to get shot by the police.

This article will be updated, as more information becomes available.