Officials say no threat found at Camas High after morning lockdown

Buses diverted, school locked down after parent reports suspicious individuals

Camas High School goes into lockdown after reported threat

Officials at Camas High School diverted school buses away from the school this morning and went into lockdown after a parent reported seeing two suspicious individuals on campus. 

“This morning a concerned parent reported two individuals with backpacks coming on campus who did not look that they should be here,” state Camas School District Jeff Snell. “The parent took a picture and shared it with security.  We could not determine the identity of the students or locate them.”

“Because of that we went into lockdown and diverted buses away from the school,” Snell added. “ We have since been able to locate the individuals and determined with (Camas police) there was not a threat.”

Camas parents and students have been on alert since news broke on Tuesday that the school’s principal, Liza Sejkora, had posted highly controversial comments to her personal Facebook page about the death of basketball superstar Kobe Bryant, who was killed with his 13-year-old daughter and seven others in a Jan. 26 helicopter crash in southern California. 

Sejkora said she believed “karma caught up with a rapist today” regarding Bryant just hours after the world learned the retired Los Angeles Lakers star and father of four young girls had been killed in the crash. The principal later deleted her Facebook comment, but a screenshot of the post made its way into the Camas High School community and was shared with students, teachers and parents online. 

On Monday evening, after several community members called the school district to complain and the Post-Record asked Sejkora for comment, the principal wrote a letter of apology to Camas High families, calling her comments “inappropriate and tasteless.” 

By Tuesday, the principal had received threats and district officials said they were placing Sejkora on administrative leave out of safety concerns as well as in response to the community concerns about her initial post about Bryant. 

Snell, who has taken over temporary responsibilities for Sejkora during her leave, is expected to give statements to the media at 4:45 p.m. today. 

This is an ongoing story, please visit the Post-Record’s website and social media sites for updates. 

Please review our community guidelines