Scammers target Clark County residents with false jury duty calls

timestamp icon
category icon Clark County, Latest News, News, Public Safety

Residents in Clark County are being targeted in a wave of jury duty scams. 

Clark County Superior Court and Clark County District Court do not initiate calls about warrants, fines, fees or other forms of payments for jury service. Clark County Courts would never ask residents for money over the phone. 

Scammers are contacting residents and telling them that they have missed jury service and must either meet with someone or provide banking, credit card, or other information to avoid being jailed. These contacts may occur via phone calls or other methods. 

Most scams involve a resident receiving a call advising they missed jury service and there is a citation for a bench warrant. Below are some examples of the interactions Clark County residents have had with jury scammers:

  • The caller states that a citation must be paid immediately, or the individual will be subject to arrest, or an arrest warrant will be issued. 
  • The caller states that District Court Judge James B. Smith or Judge Chad E. Sleight has issued the individual a warrant for a failure to appear for jury service.
  • The caller may identify themselves as a law enforcement or court deputy and provide a badge number and phone number.  
  • The caller may ask for the person’s name, address or social security number. 
  • The caller may tell the person to stay on the phone and not attempt to disconnect. 
  • The caller may direct the person to meet them with cash or pay for the citation over the phone.

All of these statements are fraudulent. These scammers can be quite convincing, even calling from spoofed Clark County Sheriff’s Office phone numbers at times. 

“If you receive a call from individuals using any of the above tactics, do not give any personal information or pay any sum of money,” said Superior Court Administrator Cheryl A. Stone. “Obtain as much information as you can about the caller and report it to your local police department or the Sheriff’s Office.”