Clark County high school athletic directors have decided to pause their school’s wrestling seasons until Monday, Jan. 3, as a result of a COVID-19 outbreak among local grapplers, according to a report from The Columbian, the Post-Record’s sister newspaper.
Clark County Public Health officials have recommended that local school districts suspend all competition, practice sessions and travel due to a surge of positive cases linked to several tournaments held at several high schools in Western Washington earlier this month.
“By pausing wrestling activities for two weeks, we hope to interrupt virus transmission and slow the spread of COVID-19 within the wrestling teams and the community,” Clark County Public Health said in a Dec. 16 Facebook post.
The Washougal High School boys wrestling team’s match against the Washougal River Rumble, scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 30, has been canceled, according to the school’s athletics website.
Clark County Public Health director Alan Melnick told the Clark County Board of Health on Tuesday, Dec. 21, that more than 200 cases of COVID-19 have been connected to a statewide outbreak among high school wrestlers and that local health officials have identified 37 cases among athletes and coaches at seven Clark County schools.