Bathroom fire leads to early release at Washougal High

timestamp icon
category icon Latest News, News

Washougal High School leaders sent students home at 11 a.m. Friday, March 24, after discovering a small fire in one of the building’s bathrooms.

Camas-Washougal Fire Department firefighters arrived on the scene and “quickly contained” the blaze, according to a news release.

District Superintendent Mary Templeton said that the district is working with the Camas-Washougal Fire Department to discover the source of the fire.

“We’re still trying to gather the details and work with the officials on all of that,” Templeton said. “I can say that I was very proud of the district for its quick communication to families as well as its work with the fire department. Our students were phenomenal, as well as our teachers and leaders at the building — I was very pleased with how they responded. We plan for these things and drill for these things, but responding to a real-life situation went better than we could have hoped for.”